When it comes to living it large, on a budget and over a short few days, there is no one more versed than Anthony Bourdain. Whether it is going to countries where water supply is a pipe dream, to modern cities that have only been inspired in his mind thanks to film and music, the real, rock and roll chef, author and activist is a big hit for anyone wanting to have an evening of food and drink narrated by this man.
Of course, he’s not everyone’s cup of tea, but then again those who complain about him aren’t everyone’s cup of tea either, ah well. So, it’s the weekend, you’re more than likely broke because pay day isn’t for another week or more and you’re wondering what to do. Let Anthony Bourdain be your guide, your… spirit animal if you may. His words have travelled the earth, been written in more publications you can dream of and he’s won an Emmy or four for all of his troubles.
If there is someone that can teach you how to get the most out of your £,$ or ¢ it is this man. Let his words of wisdom guide you this weekend and don’t contact us if it didn’t turn out as planned; that’s on you!
1) “Your body is not a temple, it’s an amusement park. Enjoy the ride.”
We believe the weekend can otherwise be referred to as “Doritos, beer and pizza time!” Everything else, go easy, unless it’s not your first rodeo then… go hard!
2) “If I’m an advocate for anything, it’s to move. As far as you can, as much as you can. Across the ocean, or simply across the river. The extent to which you can walk in someone else’s shoes or at least eat their food, it’s a plus for everybody.
Open your mind, get up off the couch, move.”
This probably means, don’t spend the day watching Netflix, unless it’s Anthony Bourdain, even then though, don’t binge watch TV.
3) “Few things are more beautiful to me than a bunch of thuggish, heavily tattooed line cooks moving around each other like ballerinas on a busy Saturday night. Seeing two guys who’d just as soon cut each other’s throats in their off hours moving in unison with grace and ease can be as uplifting as any chemical stimulant or organized religion.”
Think about that when ordering your food this weekend… “two guys who’d just as soon cut each other’s throats in their off hours”
4) “I lurched away from the table after a few hours feeling like Elvis in Vegas – fat, drugged, and completely out of it.”
When we said party hard or go home, this is what we meant, kind of…
5) “There’s something wonderful about drinking in the afternoon. A not-too-cold pint, absolutely alone at the bar – even in this fake-ass Irish pub.”
Be careful where you end up this weekend, ok?
6) “You have to be a romantic to invest yourself, your money, and your time in cheese.”
Sweet dreams are made of cheese, who am I to diss a brie… Treat yourself to cholesterol this weekend. DO IT!
7) “To me, life without veal stock, pork fat, sausage, organ meat, demi-glace, or even stinky cheese is a life not worth living.”
Meat is your friend, don’t hate the players, hate the game.